Kitchens On Fire: Things to Consider so COVID Does Not Burn Your Food Business Down
“If you can’t stand the heat, get out of the
kitchen” is a common expression among those in the food industry. In relation
to these times of pandemic however, the heat is the least of a food entrepreneur’s
problems.
Why write about this? For whom?
Most
of my working life, I helped food entrepreneurs and through many years sharing
conversations during their downtimes or in their kitchens, I have come to
develop a deep respect for the brave and passionate men and women who wear the
apron. They are my friends and in the past few months, I have seen many of them
shutter the restaurants they bled for and kill the light that I used to see
burning so brightly within them. It’s heartbreaking. I’m tired of looking at
the ashes of my friends' dreams. I decided to combine my humble
understanding of the industry and my consulting background to write this for
those of them who are still there fighting and those who these hard times
forced into food entrepreneurship. This is for the people who put food on the
table. May your own table never be empty. May these words serve you.
If
you are a food entrepreneur or know someone in the industry, I tried compiling
some of the things I’ve observed and learned which may help you weather the storm.
I
cannot promise you answers, but I can give you some of the valid questions.
They are not easy questions but you’ve been very brave and strong to be in the
food business. I’m certain you can use these to your advantage. Imagine this as
a list made by a friend who has observed some of the stories of the fall and the rise of food concepts.
It’s All About The Food
Should you follow food
trends?
I
get it. It’s a trend now. The ones I
tried are delicious. I’m not saying that those who do sell sushi bake or other
popular food items should stop. It’s just that it may be healthy to consider
the level of competition. There is only a finite amount of mind and tummy space for a particular
food concept.
As promised I offer questions.
- Maybe your family has an heirloom recipe that other people may appreciate?
- Maybe having a niche product that you have an edge at and producing it at a high level consistently is a viable strategy? Again, if you sell an awesome sushi bake or ube cheese pandesal, go for it!
- Should you follow food trends or should you excel in other categories?
Should you change your
ingredients?
This
is not just a business decision; it may affect your current customers. Maybe
the pricing just does not work if you retain the premium ingredients? Maybe you’re
having trouble sourcing. Yes, these are all valid considerations.
Don’t
underestimate your buyers’ palate though. If they have come to love your food,
a number of them may notice slight changes in the ingredients. Talking to some
patrons of food businesses I know, I’ve heard many disappointed comments about
how the food was not as great as it used to. There may be benefits to the
bottom line, but changes might affect your loyal fans.
In
these hard times, people need the comfort of food. It’s my personal opinion
that people will be more mindful of what they eat and how they feel about it.
Should you offer something
else?
Some
food businesses opted to offer food recipe kits instead of just cooked food. Do
you have a product that your customers can prepare themselves at home as a
bonding activity at home?
Does your food travel well?
Depending
on your product, some items work best eaten on the spot while some items don’t
travel as well. If you’re exploring food deliveries, will all your menu items
still be delicious after taking a motorcycle ride to your customer?
It’s Not All About The Food
Are your people okay?
I
placed this first because it’s the people who operate food businesses
especially the smaller mom-and-pop shops. The condition of your people will
have an impact on the food you serve. How is morale going? Is the crew happy? How’s
your relationship with them?
Those
mentioned above are common concerns to anyone managing staff. Given the
pandemic there are other things to consider. I know, these questions are very
painful to read more so to think about. But preparing for these beforehand may
help you get more peace-of-mind and at least, give you immediate steps in the
event the worst does happen.
·
To
the best of one’s abilities have safety measures been implemented? How do you
help keep your staff and customers from being infected?
·
What
do you do in the event that one of your crew on-site gets infected?
LET’S TALK ABOUT YOU. YOU
BELONG TO THE PEOPLE TO TAKE CARE OF.
- How
are you holding up?
- Are
there tactics you can employ to help you reduce your stress?
- Are
you eating and sleeping well?
- Will
exercise help you?
- Does
talking to people, meditation or prayer help?
- Do
you have hobbies to help you relax?
Are the numbers okay?
Like
your food, a food business has many ingredients. It’s almost like you’re
running both a food factory and also a service business. You have expenses for both back-of-the-house
and front-of-the-house. Let’s also not forget other expenses like marketing.
·
Have
these items been reasonably represented in your pricing?
·
Do
you have a general idea of how many plates you need to sell to cover your
costs?
Regarding
your financials, how long can you operate without a profit before sinking? I
know you don’t want to think about it right now. But consider the benefit of
knowing and how it can improve your next moves.
- What
expense items can I reduce while keeping my business operational?
- What
available assistance is there for you?
- Can
rent be waived or delayed?
- If you are to consider borrowing funds, are
there loans with friendly rates?
I
never expected that this would be reach this long. I also have a feeling that
this does not even grasp all of your concerns as a food business owner. You may
not see it right now, given that you’re in the thick of the fighting, but you’ve
been very brave and strong. You have my deepest respect.
P.S
As
I edit this, I came to realize how much I admire food business owners. People
don’t enter this industry just for the money because there’s so much to
consider. But know that you’re not alone. On my end, I will keep trying to make
relevant content for you. You’ve got a million other concerns to think about
but if you are in need of packaging and kitchen supplies for your food
business, you can check out our Lazada store. Stay safe! God bless! Keep your fire burning!



Comments
Post a Comment